Director of Youth Discipleship
The Director of Youth Discipleship will build young disciples of Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
- Bachelor degree in related field
- A deep and personal faith in Jesus Christ
- 3-5 years of experience in full time youth ministry
- An understanding of faith development for adolescents and youth
- Knowledge of Christian faith within the Wesleyan tradition, and comfort within United Methodist church structure
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community
- Cultivate relationships with youth for the sake of their faith development
- Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach
- Be available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth and recruit teachers
- Coordinate and teach Confirmation classes in partnership with the pastor and provide leadership for confirmands, mentors and parents beyond the classroom
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget
- Provide caring support and resources to youth families
- Support and guide the work of the Youth Council in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry
- Work in partnership with the Evangelism Committee to effectively reach youth in the community and develop a strategic youth ministry outreach plan
- Communicate in an effective and timely manner using all available resources (social media, email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin boards, etc.)
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Connect the youth to the broader church and the community of Cleveland County
- Manage all assigned programs within established budget
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality
- Ensure that the Safe Sanctuary Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
The Director of Youth Discipleship will receive supervision from the pastor. The pastor will handle normal requests for leave and other routine personnel matters. The Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) has oversight of the Director of Youth Discipleship position.
The mission of Central United Methodist Church of Shelby is to make disciples of Jesus Christ who worship God, grow in their faith and serve in the church and world.